Friday, July 29, 2005

Innovation or Imitation?

I recall one day when Matt, the annoying roommate, brought his brother by. We struck up a conversation about Metallica, where he fell into "I like the older stuff better" group. Not being an ass that totally has to have everyone like what I like, I quickly steered the conversation towards music at large. The guy admits to be a progressive rock (think Dream Theater) fan, having a hard-on for a band called Opeth in particular. He froths at the mouth when talking about them, insinuating that there's nothing quite like them. I let him pop his live Opeth DVD in the player and watch a couple songs. It was your average death metal band growl-wise, but you could actually discern rhythms and some interesting harmonies. He starts a praising the singer when he begins playing a solo, which I listen to for about thirty seconds before saying, "Sounds like from Santana." The praise stops and he suddenly changes to another track. Hmmm, maybe they're not as unique as he thought?
"...IT'S NOT WHO YOU YOU ARE, IT'S WHO YOU KNOW..."
Song of the Moment: "Holier Than Though" by Metallica

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site hit counter