Thursday, July 21, 2005

Eye of the Beholder

Let me start with housing. I found out the new apartment I’m moving into won’t be finished and ready to move into until the 15th of August rather than the 1st like originally stated by the leasing office. This put me in a small bind, since GT Housing kicks you out by the 5th, but a couple contingencies came to mind. Ian, one of the current roommates is going home for two weeks, but moving into another school apartment just down the street. He was hesitant to leave me with his keys, which was reasonable, all things considered. So I offered him $100 in cash to be allowed to use his pad for storage and a place to sleep until I move into 100 Midtown, which would be well before he comes back. Another alternative was Jack’s house, but I really don’t want to take advantage of his family’s hospitality (they’ve treated me very well over the small time I’ve known them) and his house is about a 45 minute drive one way. Yet another contingency was to take advantage of 100 Midtown’s offer to house me for free in the Hyatt downtown, but the hotel staff would hate me for bringing all my crap into a hotel room, I’m sure.

Yesterday Meg told me the story of her meeting Neil Gaiman during one of our conversations. She said she almost passed out, though that was probably due to her being extremely sick at the time of the book signing. I likened it to when I met Metallica, where I had the luxury of going through three band members before being able say something coherent (to Lars Ulrich). Meg thought it was rather unfair since I got some practice in that regard, while in her case there is only one of Neil Gaiman.

Daniel flipping off the ShaftI knew Daniel “Danger” Vall-llobera was clever at least in one respect! I invited him to the blog for that reason, after all, along with being a counter to Jack. Meg asked me if he was clever enough to understand the meaning of a comment that she posted and I made a small bet in his favor saying that he was pretty sharp and the meaning of her comment wasn’t that hard to get. She won the bet, and I hate losing to her. I began wondering if my opinion of him higher than it should’ve been. After all, even one of his favorite professors, Dr. Maier, had a look of slight disappointment on her face when I answered her question about his current situation. But he impressed me rather recently. I was beginning to suspect that all the anonymous posts on hate thread a couple posts below this one were by him. It was slightly reasonable, when you mooch WiFi you pick up whatever IP address the providing router gives you, plus there are many software packages out there that allow you to mask your IP address. I wasn’t about to lob accusations though, no need to do that until I was sure. Well it turns out he posted a cry for help from his fellows on a Yahoo Group that he belonged to. I never thought of making that sort of “plug,” sticking just to linking this blog on my AIM profile is enough for me. I was wondering about that small spike in pageloads. Looks like you’ve earned a little bit of respect back, Daniel. Perhaps I won’t photoshop a flag in the place of the Tech shaft.

I’ve been reading J. Michael Straczynski’s run on Amazing Spider-Man, and I have to admit, he’s got the character down pat. What the movies failed to realize was that Spider-Man’s got a great sense of humor. After all, it’s sometimes the only thing that keeps him from just completely giving up.

I haven’t touched my guitars in over a month. There’s something about the hated roommate, Matt, that makes me hesitant to pick them up. It’s not that he’s a good player, quite the opposite. It’s amazing how someone else’s incompetence can instill feelings of hesitation within other people. Is my playing as annoying to other people as his is to me? Jason Deas was bad enough to live by, but he wasn’t as bad of a player as Matt, well, mostly because he didn’t brag and carry his guitar from room to room.
"...DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU SEE
OR INTO IT WHAT YOU READ
YOU CAN DO IT YOUR OWN WAY
IF IT'S DONE JUST HOW I SAY

INDEPENDENCE LIMITED
FREEDOM OF CHOICE
CHOICE IS MADE FOR YOU, MY FRIEND
FREEDOM OF SPEECH
SPEECH IS WORDS THAT THEY WILL BEND
FREEDOM WITH THEIR EXCEPTION..."
Song of the Day: "Eye of the Beholder" by Metallica

8 Comments:

At Thu Jul 21, 10:45:00 AM EDT, Blogger Danger said...

Thanks...I guess. In order to clarify, it wasn't a cry for help so much as a request for opinions. One person that posted I disagreed with, another that posted I did. A third person actually phoned in with his take on it all, and a fourth was going to post things but after seeing what they might have been like, I politely told he shouldn't worry about it.

As for Meg's comment, I got it, I think (get your two dollars there, Dave). I was simply noting that her words could just as easily fit into my own conceptual framework of the issue to validate my stance, despite her intentions.

As for her meeting Neil Gaiman (whose American Gods rocks HARD), wow. I probably wouldn't be able to talk much either. I mean, between writing the best comic I've ever read and the best novel I've read in years, I would probably shake his hand and set it to write, since in all likelyhood whatever pen it holds would begin to leak out veritable gold.

And you can find the picture of me flippin' off the flag in my FBI file...

...

(thats a joke)

 
At Thu Jul 21, 09:03:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

Funny you two (Meg) share many of the same tastes in authors and presidential candidates, though her initial impression of you was rather dismal despite my honest attempt to convince her otherwise. She would've been my choice for someone to include into the blog to counter Jack, but they certainly wouldn't have gotten along at all.

 
At Thu Jul 21, 09:47:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

Short? I never told you he was short!

 
At Thu Jul 21, 11:18:00 PM EDT, Blogger Danger said...

Read Neverwhere and Stardust. I actually saw the Neverwhere mini-series the BBC made and saw the illustrated Stardust, but didn't buy it.

Yes, I've read the entire Five book (and short story) trilogy of the Complete Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I've also read a bunch of Terry Pratchet books, though not Good Omens. I'm saving that just in case I go through a day and don't laugh. It'll be my cure.

I haven't read any of Gaiman's children books, though I'm hoping to catch Mirrormask when it comes out.

And damn it, I'm the tallest person in my family! That has to count for something, even if its only 5'5".

 
At Fri Jul 22, 09:04:00 AM EDT, Blogger Danger said...

Much as I'd like the view, what if I don't want tall kids? That, and running around with a stepladder to give her a kiss wouldn't be very convenient.

Hmm...maybe elevators or stilts.

 
At Fri Jul 22, 03:19:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

It worked for Tom Cruise... ...isn't Nicole Kidman single?

 
At Fri Jul 22, 05:22:00 PM EDT, Blogger Danger said...

If she is single, I guess it didn't work for Cruise that well, did it?

 
At Sat Jul 23, 01:49:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

I forgot CS majors had a hard time understanding big words, Bruce.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site hit counter