Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Character Concept

Batman and CatwomanThe Batman
I felt like writing this because of today's movie (GEEK POST ALERT).Probably the best character concept in the way of tragic characters since Edmond Dantés from The Count of Monte Cristo in my humble opinion. The problem is that he's rarely written in the correct manner. You all know the story behind the origin. A 13-year-old boy, son to a wealthy family, witnesses his mother and father gunned down in an alleyway during a random robbery, making the promise that night to rid the city of evil that had taken his parents (and his childhood). He disappears for 12 years, and returns to Gotham in his mid-twenties. After the disastrous events of his first night out trying to purge the streets he gets the inspiration to dress up like a bat in an attempt to make him seem like more than just a man, using the shadows, stealth, and brutality to instill fear in the criminals of his city, which is something that is needed since dressing up like a bat alone is just kind of goofy. He becomes something of an urban legend within the city. The funny thing about the character is that the persona of Bruce Wayne has become the mask, being used mostly as a tool to further his goals as Batman. He also has one of the most colorful rogue galleries in comics, which ironically came to be due to his presence in the city. His childhood promise essentially ensures that he'll never know peace, which is besides the point. He can still kick Superman's ass.
Father… …I’m afraid I may have to die tonight. I’ve tried to be patient. I’ve tried to wait. But I have to know. How father? How do I do it? What do I use… to make them afraid? If I ring this bell, Alfred will come. He can stop the bleeding, in time. Another of your gifts to me, father. I have wealth. The manor rests above a huge cave that will be the perfect headquarters… …even a butler trained in combat medicine… …yes, father. I have everything by patience. I’d rather die.. than wait… another hour. I have waited… eighteen years… eighteen years… since… …since Zorro. The Mask of Zorro. Since the walk that night. And the man with frightened, hollow eyes and a voice like glass being crushed… …since all sense left my life.

Without warning, it comes… …crashing through the window of your study… and mine… …I have seen it before… somewhere… …it frightened me as a boy… …frightened me… …yes. Father. I shall become a bat.
Comic of the Moment: Batman: Year One by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site hit counter