Tuesday, June 07, 2005

First time for everything...

Today, for the first time in my life, the following thought popped into my head:

"What if I eat too much meat?"

It was pretty scary, I'll tell you.

I'm a self-proffessed carnivore. I genuinely enjoy the taste of dead animals, cooked (and sometimes not cooked) to perfection. It is very rare for me to enjoy a meal that doesn't have meat in it, and certainly one without animal products of some sort. Breakfast might not have sausage everyday, but it certainly has milk and eggs. Vegan-issues aside, though, I found myself thinking recently that I might eat too much meat.

Now, I'm not obese. Not even close. I don't feel unhealthy, nor do I avoid vegetables and fruits and whatnot. I just like meat. However, a thought occured to me after reading some comments about sustainability and societal affluence and shit like that. I eat a lot of meat, but do I have to? Is this taste of mine something that promotes environmental degradation? Am I subsidizing ideas I disagree with by forking over money to people that make my meat?

I haven't come to any conclusions, per se. But I did find it curious that I would even think of this in the first place. I couldn't give up meat entirely, I know that much. But maybe cutting back on it and increasing my intake of some other stuff might be better. For now, though, I gotta get going. This steak wont grill itself.

Daniel

Whats cooking: Cubed steak, tenderized overnight in vinegar, seasoned with oregano, garlic, and salt, served with white rice and Caesar salad.

4 Comments:

At Wed Jun 08, 12:59:00 AM EDT, Blogger Danger said...

Oh, yeah, trust me, the headline for losing my virginity will read something like "Found someone crazy enough" or "Liquor helps!"

No worries, I'll let you know when (if?) it happens Jack.

 
At Wed Jun 08, 08:21:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

Jack's such an ass.

 
At Wed Jun 08, 08:29:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

Wow, I can actually see some homosexual innuendo now after reading it again after seeing Jack's comment.

 
At Wed Jun 08, 09:41:00 AM EDT, Blogger Danger said...

I think you're both projecting. Is there anything you two need to share?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site hit counter