Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Resident Merchant?

Resident Evil 4 001I purchased Resident Evil 4 a little more than a week ago and I have to saw that I'm enjoying quite well despite severly disliking the previous installments. I just hated having to shoot in the older games because of the very poor aiming system in which you swiveled on your heels and hoped to be aiming in the right direction. What surprised me with RE4 was the fact that it's not all that scary. Compared to Doom 3, RE 4 is rather tame. However, I've found myself panicing during the game due to the fact that it can be rather difficult to stay alive. There were times where I was holed up within a derelict house shooting zombie-like villagers (called ganados) coming in through the windows when suddenly the feared chainsaw-toting guy with a burlap sack somehow sneaks behind me and one-hit-kills me by lopping off my head. However, this has proved to be quite fun and worth the $50 (I rarely buy games at full price) I paid, further justifying my purchase of the Game Cube system.

Now what bothers me is this. All along the way through the game you encounter the "merchant." He just happens to be one of the few non-zombies throughout the games and sells you weapons as well as upgrades them. Sure, this is nice, but still, why the hell is he there? It just doesn't make any sense. You can kill him though...
"...DRAIN YOU OF YOUR SANITY
FACE THE THING THAT SHOULD NOT BE..."
Song of the Moment: "The Thing That Should Not Be" by Metallica

2 Comments:

At Wed Jun 08, 09:49:00 PM EDT, Blogger Danger said...

I believe the presence of the merchant is a right-wing conspiracy.

Wait, don't close the window, hear me out!

See, unadultered capitalism is a core tenet of the right-wing. They've gotten their slimy tentacles into Resident Evil now (oh the irony), and stuck in this "merchant".

This is nothing more than a ploy to convince impressionable young minds that, no matter what the circumstances, the market must be allowed to function. Does it matter that the town is overriden by zombies? Of course not! A reasonable price for the weaponry with which to overturn the hordes of the restless dead is not only right, but its the American way!

Daniel

 
At Wed Jun 08, 10:12:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

And lemme guess, you probably also think Mario is a communist fighting the oppressive green King Koopa...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site hit counter