Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Downfall of Civilization

Picture of the Moment:  Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine[Dave/Scott]
The 15-Kegger and Moondogs. Decided to hang out with Chien and Mike and go some random party purportedly serving 15 kegs on Saturday night. Unfortunately the planning and logistics behind the thing were rather poor, with more than two hundred people crowded around two or three kegs at one time. It took an hour for me and Mike to get two beers, for God’s sake. Soon after the cops came and broke the party up, so we got in Chien’s 4-Runner and spent the rest of the night drinking at Moondog’s.

Selling my Soul to Civilization IV. Wow. I really hate to say it, but maybe Matt and Jack was right. I was avoiding confrontation in Sid Meier’s latest installment, focusing on expansionist doctrine to stifle my neighboring civilizations’ growth early on, leading to my populating most of Europe while limiting Rome and Greece to their small peninsulas and islands. Later on I sought victory in the game via diplomacy in winning a major election in the United Nations. Unfortunately the vote was split between me (the Germans) and my closest (yet not close at all) competitors, the Chinese. All the while Jack (drunk) and Matt (sober) were constantly telling me to go to war with the other civilizations only to be rebuffed. After about 12 years and multiple reattempts to be elected, I determined democracy was getting in the way. I started then by bribing the other civilizations into invoking trade embargos on China, whom I soon later declared war on. The states who would originally constantly abstain in the elections (despite my best efforts) then voted in my favor, allowing me to finally win the election.
“The great masses of the people… will more easily fall for victims to a great lie than a small one.”
Game of the Moment: Sid Meier’s Civilization IV

1 Comments:

At Tue Nov 08, 12:06:00 PM EST, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

You and Civilization IV do not mix well, unless mixing well leads to sporatic violence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site hit counter