Friday, July 08, 2005

Beyond Reason

Hulk Smash!What’s wrong with people? Why are some individuals so unreasonable to the point where direct confrontation is needed to get the point through that person’s skull? Is it that hard to get a point through to someone? I’d love to believe in everlasting peace and all that good shit stuff, but there’s still a reason we still have war.

One example was last month’s confrontation between myself and Matt, the skinny bastard of a roommate over the setting of the thermostat. Having the temperature set at higher than 70° F is too warm for a summer in the state of Georgia, but the idiot couldn’t get it through his skull. He adamantly claimed that most people prefer the temperature within a home to be above 70° F, even when the other roommates tried to explain the fact that he was wrong by calculating an average temperature from our ideas of good temperatures for home environments. It took a rather aggressive slamming by the throat for him to see reason.

Another example occurred today at the gym. I warned a group of four or five Indian students that they had about two minutes until closing, and they said they were on their “last” set. The official announcement came loud and clear over the intercom and I saw them changing weights on the bench press for another set. I told them the gym was closed and that they needed to leave, only to be told again that this was their “last” set. I grabbed the bar when the guy hefted it off the rack and put it back down. He glares at me and tells me something to the effect that my actions could’ve killed him. I told them to get out. He repeated his claim. I revoked all of their gym memberships and privileges. Assholes, don’t fuck mess with the authority figure. Now I know how baseball umpires feel.

See why I don’t subscribe to idealist thought? It’s these few idiots that ruin it for the rest of the world. I was told yesterday that I had a keen sense of what was right and what was wrong, but my means for exacting “justice” were a bit harsh for her standards. Sure, there are probably other ways of resolving things, but time is a luxury I don’t have.
”…YOU’VE WAGED A WAR OF NERVES
BUT YOU CAN’T CRUSH THE KINGDOM…”
Song of the Moment: "5 Minutes Alone" by Pantera

5 Comments:

At Sun Jul 10, 09:46:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

There's a time for being nice, but Friday night at 9 PM isn't it when you're at work.

 
At Sun Jul 10, 09:53:00 AM EDT, Blogger Danger said...

If there is anything I picked up from Great Power relations it is that the person negotiating from a position of strength lets you be more lenient. You can afford to give them an inch. I'm not disagreeing with what you did (stupid people indeed), I just fail to see how an incident such as that explains why you don't subscribe to idealist thought.

 
At Sun Jul 10, 10:01:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

Lenient like Neville Chamberlain?

 
At Sun Jul 10, 09:33:00 PM EDT, Blogger Danger said...

Mr. Chamberlain, though negotiating from a position of strength, wasn't lenient due to being an idealist. If so, he wouldn't have given away other people's stuff. That isn't Idealism. That's conniving.

 
At Sun Jul 10, 10:41:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

Bah, idealists are useless. Realists are so much more useful, even if their methods do seem dour.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site hit counter