Tuesday, June 21, 2005

We pledge allegiance...

I found this quite interesting. Despite being an ex-Catholic, I still mantain myself as a Christian. The author of this particular piece brings up an interesting discussion, but I do have to wonder whether or not the Americans do worship their flag or not.

One of the commentators brought up the idea that when you take a symbol and surround it with ritual that it closely resembles worship. Now, theres a lot of ritual surrounding the US flag, and a lot of weight is placed on it as a symbol. I would dismiss it as a piece of cloth, whose relevance is no more important than any other piece of cloth (I'd rather have a world with only pants than a world with only flags), which is a sentiment shared by many people abroad regarding their own flags. Then, after said dismissal, I'd be attacked for not having any pride in my country. I fail to see how one leads to the other, though.

Despite my deep and brooding hatred of the current US government, this doesn't mean I don't feel very lucky to have a chance to participate in the American Experience. This country isn't a flag, after all. If anything, its the Constitution (and its Bill of Rights) or the Preamble to the Declaration of Independence. That would be too narrow a definition, though. But oh well, work beckons. I think I'll buy a flag and burn it tonight, while I still can.

Though that might be worship, too. A burnt offering. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess.

Daniel

2 Comments:

At Tue Jun 21, 02:11:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

I can't remember the last time I said the pledge of allegence.

 
At Tue Jun 21, 11:07:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

Yeah, we stopped doing the pledge after like the third grade.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site hit counter