Sunday, June 19, 2005

The Impending Death of the English Language

I know I'm not the greatest writer in the world when it comes to grammar and spelling. In fact, there's someone at Tech that believes I'm a blithering idiot in that regard. But still, whenever I read something like the following random exerpt, I get nausiously violent:
daym itz ben a grip sence i wrote in dis i gess im starting fresh haha thx jen for convinceing me :) haha well this year is the last year till i graduate :S im kina nerves of gettin out on my own but i dink itz goin to be all good yah every one is growing up so fast itz crazy well im out peace
Sure, I can (somewhat) understand it, but that doesn't change the fact that it was poorly written. I used to hate English classes throughout my pre-college career, but after reading posts like the one used as an example above, I've been slowly giving my English teachers of old a bit more respect.
"Since when did a good education and an extensive vocabulary become handicaps?"
Comic of the Moment: New X-Men Vol. 6: Planet X by Grant Morrison and Phil Jimenez

2 Comments:

At Sun Jun 19, 11:01:00 PM EDT, Blogger Jack and Coke said...

They say that the more you use AIM the better your typing and language skills get. This person is probably hardly ever on the internet and just generally sucks at life.

 
At Mon Jun 20, 05:18:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

Ha! A lot of people type poorly on AIM too. Ever notice that punctuation and capitalization are after-thoughts on AIM? Your typing speed may increase though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site hit counter