Sunday, June 05, 2005

The downward spiral of current media.

Is it apparent to anyone else that today's entertainment is getting hackneyed and burdened with a lack of talent? I think this is more of a reflection of the downhill turn of taste in our culture. I'm going to say that two and a half of our four media outlets have taken a turn for the worse in the last 10-20 years.

Music:
I can't really rant and rave too much about how bad music has gotten because I don't really listen to too much music. Frankly I'm just annoyed with the new stuff that's coming out. It seems to be epitomized by Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl". That song sucks balls. What pisses me off about that is my friend who is an up and coming artist has a lot of talent but will never make it big while Gwen Stefani plagues us with her terrible vocals and worse lyrics. I know that lyrics are just the breaks in between solos but clearly music has taken a turn for the worse.

I hate to admit it but I listen to country now. It comprises probably 60% of what I listen to now. I listen to it because it's not about killing yourself because the world sucks or about anything that pop music sings about. I can relate to those songs. It's about fishing, dogs, girls and old pickup trucks. I like it, it doesn't seem fake and generated in some backroom by songwriters in CA. I am also fairly impressed with Jack Johnson and Dispatch. A lot of raw talent that puts out a good sound, but a lot of everything else sucks bad, and that's sad.

Movies:
This is by far the most dissappointing genre right now. I enjoy movies, don't get me wrong, but the quality of movie writing has declined dramatically. Old movies were written so much better than movies nowadays. I think the problem is in the predictability of every movie. When I watch a movie, I turn to Melody and tell her what's about to happen, because in my mind it's all so predictable. On the other hand, the coming scenes in the movie aren't as readily apparent to her as they are to me, so maybe I'm just too smart for my own good.

I just miss the days of witty banter in movies that's cleverly tucked into a well thought out plot that makes everyone chuckle. I also like plots that make you think and let you figure it out as the movies go. Current movies always lead you to believe something is happening, arrest/kill/breakup/or something to all the characters, then in the last seven minutes of the two hour lie that you've just wasted your money on, they show you what really happened and how clever the characters are and how you are such an idiot. The best example of this is Ocean's 12. What a terribly thought out plot. I liked the dialogue and humor, but the plot and ending sucked.

TV:
I think that this is the half bad/half good genre. I can't even begin to tell you how much I hate reality TV and stuff like that. American Idal blows. Beau should have won, he's a rock star, he sang with Skynyrd, he was better. Survivor, how is that show a survivor? It just shows incredibly poor taste that like 300 million people watch that show.

Of course, on the flip side, some shows are better than ever. Family Guy, Friends, and Joey are quite possibly the funniest shows ever written. I can always watch those shows. I guess that maybe 15% of the bullshit on TV is actually good and that's how it's always been, but only the good stuff survives the ages. Stuff like The A-Team and MacGyver. I wonder how many bad shows you had to go through to get MacGyver? What a great show.

Books:
Yeah, these are the one good genre. Keep them coming people.

I'm struggling for a closing here. Only because I've bored and dissappointed myself as the post has gone on. More of the story is that most of the entertainment out there is bad. Everyone should share my taste. That is all, you may return to your boring lives now.

5 Comments:

At Sun Jun 05, 12:21:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

Speaking of country, did you see the new brunette Faith Hill? She's still hot! The only thing I didn't like about MacGyver was that reoccurring villian with the scars. I didn't like Ocean's 12. It seemed pointless, and the first one was a better done heist movie.

 
At Sun Jun 05, 05:58:00 PM EDT, Blogger Jack and Coke said...

I need picts. Faith Hill is like the hottest woman on the planet

 
At Sun Jun 05, 06:19:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dave/Scott said...

Um, I basically saw her with the brunette look on some video called "Mississippi Girl."

 
At Sun Jun 05, 07:03:00 PM EDT, Blogger Danger said...

I have to agree with you on movies and disagree on the music. I've been listening to a lot of decent (new) music recently, though I suspect you wouldn't like a lot of it. Most of it isn't angsty or pointless, but I can't exactly picture you liking it anyway. Listen to Postal Service and prove me wrong, though.

As for television, I still haven't gotten into the habit of watching it, so I can't comment much on it.

Books, well...I'm reading a lot of stuff recently, so I guess books are still going strong.

Im surprised you left out the internet, by the way. Its a media outlet, one with a LOT more content than any of the others (except maybe books). Most of it is crap, sure, but there are some real gems out there in ye olde cyberspace. Some of them are even on this very blogger service...such as postsecret.blogspot.com/

As for country...well, at least you defended your choice in a way that I rag on, so more power to ya.

Daniel

 
At Sun Jun 05, 08:24:00 PM EDT, Blogger Jack and Coke said...

I left out the internet because it's got too much going on besides entertainment. Business, information, piracy... It's a tool more than just a specific channel of entertainment.

To correct music, I'd venture to say that most mainstream MTV popular music is crap. Pop shit that Carson Daily plays for the little 14 year old screaming girls before he molests them and their dogs after the show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

web site hit counter